Thursday, February 23, 2012

On the Needles...

Over the last few weeks I’ve had a lot of projects on the needles, and while this can sometimes be overwhelming, right now it feels like a good mix of projects.

There have been two pairs of socks. The first is a brown pair in Lion Sockease, that I thought would be good for work (I have to wear brown to work - sigh). They are turning out all right, but I’m waffling on whether or not I really like them.
The second pair is a one that I started when I needed something completely mindless to work on while I ran a meeting. They are in Zauberball Crazy, and it’s the first time I’ve knit with this yarn. I have three balls, and this is the most colorful of the three. It’s entrancing how the colors change from one to the other, much more gently than I thought they would.
It’s reminded me that there’s nothing wrong with knitting plain old socks. So many knitters are working on lace socks now. They’re everywhere. I made a couple of pair in the past, and while they are pretty, they’re just not for me. I don’t like putting holes in my socks intentionally! I am fond of cables and texture patterns, though, and I like knitting them, although they take a little more work and concentration. But for pure satisfaction, you can’t beat socks in simple stockinette stitch. They almost fly off the needles, they’re so easy!

Aside from socks, I’ve been working on more baby booties, washcloths, and catnip toys. These are all the “take-along” projects. At home, I’m trying to finish the second square of the new cat bed, and I unearthed an old toddler sweater that only needed a few rows of button band.

And I whipped up a pair of scuffs from Lopi yarn over a weekend and then fulled them in the washer with the laundry. After three cycles, I’m wondering if they’re done. They are still a little large for me, so do I stop and use them as a gift or sell them, or do I try one more cycle? They may not shrink any further.
I’m still hoping this weekend to pull out one of large sweater projects and make some progress on it, but until a big chunk of time comes along, these small projects are great for filling in. And since I’m still on a mad dash to burn through as much stash as possible, the more knitting, the better!

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up on your last two entries. Always interesting! Cousin Deb

    ReplyDelete