Saturday, March 25, 2006

First Knitting Content!

These are some of the pieces I've completed in the past month or so. I missed the dealine to enter the Official Olympic Knitting challenge, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. I set a goal to see how many Dale of Norway accessories I could knit during the Winter Olympics. The first piece I completed was this hat - from the 1995 Thunder Bay Book. I used Dale Heilo, and #1 needles, since I knit loosely. The hat turned out great, but it's too small for me. I made the ladies size, but this would really fit a a child. I wasn't paying attention to gauge, I just wanted to make a fabric that had a nice body - not to tight or too loose. I think if I make another in the man's size, it will be fine for an adult head.

The next thing I made were kid's mittens, also from Thunder Bay. Because the Heilo hat turned out small, I found some worsted weight yarn for the mittens, thinking they would turn out bigger. Nope, still kid sized! The light yarn here is an anciet ball of Bernat Berella, from when it was 100% wool, and the dark is K1C2 Parfait Solids. They have been sitting in my odd ball bin for a long time, and they go well together. I had yarn left from the mittens, so I decided to make another pair, in an adult size, but reversing the light and dark. This pattern is from the 1999 Vail Book. I didn't get these finished, I kind of ran out of steam.

Here's what I'm working on this weekend. It's a bunny, from an old (1970's) McCalls Special Baby Issue. I'm altering the pattern a little bit, to make most of it in one piece. I thought I might run out of my ball of leftover yarn, but now I think I'll be ok. I had planned to have a bunch of these done before Easter, but now I'll be lucky to get this one done. I'm still not sure how it will turn out.

4 comments:

  1. HI
    You did a great job on the hat and mittens.
    vinette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new blog...looks very professional! Impressive knitting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color work on the hat and mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure that bunny isn't an octopus? Or a porcupine? Looking forward to seeing the finished one[s].

    ReplyDelete