Friday, February 12, 2010

Ready, Set, Knit!

It's not as if I don't knit every day, unless I'm very ill. But starting tonight, the knitting will be special. Why? Well, I'm competing in the Olympics! The Knitting Olympics, that is.

The idea of the Knitting Olympics, which will run concurrently with the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, is to knit something personally challenging, whether it be trying a new technique, making a complex pattern, or perhaps even designing a project from start to finish.

Two websites are hosting the event. The Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, coordinator of the original event, has a link where folks can sign up and list their goals.

And on the Ravelry website, there's an entire forum, with 30 events, dozens of teams, and over 6,000 participants.

My challenge will be to make as many Nordic style stranded knitting projects as I can during the 17 day period. There are also a few little projects that will fill in, and it should be a full schedule of knittin, with my day job and routine chores packed in alongside. Right now I have four projects set up and ready to go, casting on during the opening ceremonies. I may choose different projects along the way, but I'm hoping that not only will I get to enjoy some two-color knitting, which I love, I will also eliminate some stash, which is also very important. More about stash busting will be forthcoming.

I'm hoping of course to take photos as I go, but I might not have another blog post until the Olympics are over, at the end of the month. I want to fill the time with as much knitting as possible. Of course, that may not always be possible, but here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment