Tuesday, June 15, 2010

So Much to Do...

I feel like I’m behind in my yardwork. Of course, this is true, because there is always more trimming, weeding, transplanting, and mulching to do. And it’s been raining since last Thursday afternoon, so even when it’s not raining, it’s too wet to mess around outside.

And this time of year, when there’s so much outside work to do, I always get behind on my inside work. Yesterday I was doing laundry, and looking at the piles of clean linens that needed a place to live, and clothes that need ironing, and the ironing board that needs a new cover, and it was very overwhelming. My quest to make a place for everything that’s necessary is not going so well. Even with the extra storage space in the Klik-klaks, and a small linen closet, there are still sheets and quilts and other linens that don’t have a home.

Clearly, it’s time to get busy – again!

Last night I cleaned out my bathroom cupboard, and put all the extra toiletries and such in a box to be stored in the basement (I may never have to buy lotion again). I also started a box for rummage or donation, and when I was done, I had moved some of the items that shouldn’t be in the linen closet into the bathroom cupboard where they belonged, and still had half a shelf empty. I still have more to move out of the linen closet, but maybe then I can at least get the summer sheets and the rest of the towels put away properly.

On the knitting front, I finished Rusty’s cat bed, and started the fulling process. I washed the bed on hot, then rinsed in cold. I saved the water from the first wash, and sent it through the hot and cold again. Then I dried it in the dryer at the high setting, which I don’t think I’ve ever used before.

The photo is pre-fulling. I didn’t measure, but it doesn’t look like it shrunk much this first go-round. It does feel very nice, and it’s still plenty big enough for Rusty, but it’s nowhere near stiff enough to hold a bowl shape.

I also managed to pick up stitches and start the pouch on the Wonderful Wallaby that I’m making for my friend Jenny’s little girl. The yarn is "Wisdom - Inspire" (discontinued) self striping, and although I initially thought the lavender stripes looked too gray, overall I think it’s looking very pretty. This will be my third Wallaby – all three have been toddler size. One day I’m going to make one for myself, even though I don’t like pouches and I don’t always like hoods. They’re just fun to knit!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful yarn for the wallaby! And I'm sure your cat will love it's bed also! :)