Friday, March 16, 2007

Mission Impossible?

Much as I would love to spend the entire upcoming weekend nestled on the couch, watching old movies and knitting, I don’t think I’d better. The Spring Cleaning bug is really biting, and I can think of dozens of chores that need doing.

Do you think anyone ever reads one of those books on getting organized, and then actually does it? Completely? I have my doubts. I’ve started organizing my house time and time again, only to hit some kind of stumbling block that stalls the project. Sometimes it’s lack of space. Sometimes I just run out of steam.


For me, organizing is an ongoing process. I’ve used this analogy before: I picture my house, or just a given room in my house, as one of those plastic number puzzles where you slide the tiles around in the frame, with only one blank space, and the object is to get all the numbers in order, moving them around one square at a time. That’s how I feel when I try to clean. Stuff just keeps shifting from space to space, in a different order, but I never seem to complete the puzzle.

I don’t mean for this to sound disheartening. I realized earlier this year that one of my favorite hobbies is organizing! I love the process of sorting and categorizing and making room for all my treasures. And I actually do have some systems in place that make sense and help me find certain things when I need them. It’s just that the chaos seems to outweigh the order.

So it’s time to sort, scrub, and purge if possible. Late next month I’ll be having a garage sale, so this will be the perfect weekend to start getting ready for that event. So although I’ll still put in the requisite time on the sofa with the pointy sticks, the name of the game this weekend will be “Mission Organization”. And if you’d like to see what I’m purging, click here to link to my eBay seller page. There are some needlework goodies there already, some brand new, with more to be added as the days go on…remember…one person’s trash is another person’s treasure! Gee, not that any of MY stuff is trash…to me, it’s all treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment