Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Feline News and VIews

Rusty - 16 years old
 
 
Lily - 13 years old
 
 
Rollie - 10 years old
 
This has been a challenging year for me and my kitties. Each one of them have had health issues: some ordinary, some very serious. It started in January when Lily went blind due to hypertension. Luckily, with quick action and medication, she regained her vision, but developed other complications that pointed to renal failure. She was just about a goner in April. With lots of medications, and many vet trips, she has rebounded, but still needs daily observations for signs of another decline. She's so fragile.
 
Rusty was on the decline in May and June. Digestive issues, similar to Miss Lily, although much more pronounced. Again, medications, treatments, new diets, and constant monitoring were needed. He has also lost weight and some of his vigor. 
 
Rollie only had a little eye issue, and is by far the healthiest of the bunch, although he's probably actually a tad overweight. He's very good at cleaning the plates when the other two are in a finicky eating spell.
 
It's been a long haul, to be sure, and I have to be much more vigilant with their care. For a while, I was at the vet more than once a week, with one or another of them. Now, it's been a whole 9 days since I've needed to take someone in, and that feels great!
 
It's been stressful, and expensive, but I realize that as these cats age, it's to be expected. I have some limits as to when to make that difficult final choice for them, and luckily, it's not come to that (although Lily was pretty close). For now, every good day is a special joy, and I'm learning new animal care skills that surprise even me!

No comments:

Post a Comment