Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Yarn Along - Ribbed Cap

Joining in with Ginny again this week.
I'm still reading "Food Matters" by Mark Bittman. I put it aside for a while to look at magazines and do some word puzzles, but I'm back into it now. Looking ahead a bit, it does look like it's going to turn into more of a diet book, and that's not really what I was looking for. Also, the "Food Matters" DVD came in at the library. I don't think the book and the DVD are connected, even though they share some of the same principles. The DVD was a bit extreme. Instead of coming away with a positive attitude that I am making conscientious choices for the better, I felt that unless I became a raw food vegan who downed bottles of supplements each day, that I was doomed. I have the follow-up DVD "Hungry for Change" to watch next, so I'll see if it improves.

And on the knitting front, I cast on yesterday for a ribbed watchcap. The yarn is SR Kertzer Trenton, which the label says is a 100% Merino Wool superwash. Hmm. It doesn't feel anything like merino. I've used this yarn before, and it does soften up after the first wash.

And the yarn is wound into a round ball, because I just grabbed a skein as I was going out the door to get my car serviced. I should have wound it on the ball winder, but I didn't have time. I cast on while waiting, and had only done two rounds, when up comes a knot! So I ripped it out, undid the knot, and then wound the yarn into a ball, just to check that there weren't any more knots hiding along the way.

The cap is for one of our summer hires at work who will be leaving next week. It's funny how ribbing pulls in so much. I've been stretching it out, and I hope it will be big enough. If not, I should be able to knit another one in short order!

No comments:

Post a Comment